Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Poorly Designed Logo

It has always been unclear to me what the Logitech logo is supposed to be. I recently researched it for a project I am doing in my Typography class, and I could not find any explanation of what it is meant to be on their website. It originally looked like this:

Which leads me to believe that the cursor and eye were meant to communicate the thought process behind operating a mouse and using a computer. I think the fact that I needed to look up the old logo and extrapolate the meaning counts against the newer logo. The abstraction goes too far in the new one, and the techniques don't work. The gel effect makes it look messy and the single red piece that isn't gelled doesn't communicate well.

I don't particularly like the old logo, but I think the newer one is much, much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment